Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mingus Blast!

Yesterday was a beautiful day, upper 60's temp and lots of sunshine. Work cut me loose about 11:00 a.m. and the Chetak was calling my name! Headed out towards Prescott again. Fantastic ride over the mountain again, except I got caught behind Granpa Goslow most of the way. Gave me a chance to appreciate the woods I was passing through. I hit an elk with my Kenworth a few weeks ago, so I also was looking for wildlife. Go figure!

There is a fairly new scooter dealer in Prescott called Skeeter's Scooters (a little cutesy, don't you think?) who handles TGB (Taiwan Golden Bee) scooters exclusively. They are essentially a manufacturing facility which makes high-end performance parts for ATV's. The scooters are just a sidelines he's really not too serious about. The facility is hidden WAY back in an industrial area behind the airport and there is no showroom or anything. His attitude is; "If I sell one, I sell one...if I don't, I don't". I talked to him about the need for a scooter dealer in the Verde Valley (Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Camp Verde, Cornville, Sedona, etc.). The area is rather depressed income-wise, and a scooter dealer would fill a wide-open niche. He suggested I could get a finder's fee for every one I sold over there...okay, I can do that. HOWEVER, he wouldn't supply any product to sell, I'd have to buy one! Another good idea out the window....

Visited the boys at Encore to scope out the accessories. Gotta change out those mirrors...looking for something different!

Just bopped around the area for an hour or so and headed back. THIS is where the fun happened! As I started up the mountain, I saw a few headlights in my rear-view. They got a little closer all the time, since my 145 cc's maxed out at about 45 m.p.h. (still a good 10 miles over the speed limit). About a mile and a half from the top, the lights became a group of about 10 or 12 Harleys. This could be fun! I waved a couple past me before we hit the twisties. Then it was on! There was NO way they could shake that pesky little scooter through the curves. Eventually I slowed down and waved them all past me so they could be their "pack" again. But it was downhill now, with LOTS of curves, including a number of switch-backs. OH YEAH! This is where the anti-dive front end on the Bajaj shines! I don't believe I've ever felt more confident on any bike. Anyway, those over 1300 cc, $30,000 motorcycles (try as they might) could NOT outrun my $2400, 145 cc scooter through that mountain road. They'd start to pull away on a straight and there would be another corner. They, in fact, slowed me down! Probably reminded them of that annoying mosquito that stays just out of reach when you're camping! Since you really can't go much over, say, 50 m.p.h., that road was the great equalizer and my 36 years of experience paid off. I was ON their asses the whole way into Jerome. Probably quite a sight to those going the other way to see all these black-leather clad "bikers" on their expensive equipment being hounded by a motorscooterist in a jean jacket an tennis shoes. I had a grin plastered on my ugly mug for hours after that!

1 comment:

Philip Barrett said...

Harley dude at a red light after we "rode" together for a couple of blocks - "man, that little sucker flies!"

PB