Tuesday, March 28, 2006

S#*T happens...

Okay, so about a month or so ago, my Bajaj scooter began making unpleasant banging noises down in the crankcase somewhere. I tried to ride it over Mingus Mountain to Prescott, where the dealer is, but about 5 miles up the hill, in the town of Jerome, it began banging in earnest! Fearful that the world famous "Noise Police" in Jerome (yes, they DO issue expensive tickets for too loud of...well, ANYTHING!) would fire a warning shot through my spleen, I turned around and took it home. The following day, I loaded it up in a buddy's pickup and dropped it off at the dealer. Come to find out, one of the main bearings disintegrated, taking the crankshaft and connecting rod with it. Major rebuild time!! Fortunately, it was still under warranty...and nobody ever SAW me play boy-racer on it. Anyway, my dealer sent the engine to BajajUSA who proceeded to do a complete rebuild and sent it back to the dealer.
I picked the scoot up last Saturday and spent the week driving like Miss Daisy to re-break it in. Nice and gentle. Five miles to work and five miles back each day, never exceeding the recommended speeds in each gear. Run around town paying bills, etc. Then this Saturday, since I had 100 miles on the rebuild, I changed the oil and cleaned out the screen. Good quality oil, diligent cleaning.
I then decided to have a "mental health day" and just ride the scooter all day. I rode the 20 miles to Sedona where I made a payment on my wife's Helix, stopped and visited my wife, since she was at work there in Sedona and rode home. I re-checked the oil. Checked the tire pressures. Fiddled here, fiddled there, adjusted the shift cables...you know...just stuff! Jumped back on and fired it up. Sounded good. Better even than when it was new. I rode up to Jerome (which is a MAJOR Harley hang-out on weekends) just to annoy the Harley boys. I was successful. Also checked out a new guitar player who may be interested in joining our band. Fine day, so far. Just before dusk, I climbed aboard again. Fired her up. Sounded great. Nice fast ride down the hill to Cottonwood. I didn't want to go home since it was still about 65 degrees out, so I went to WalMart where I got a toy Vespa ET4 scooter and a package of socks.
Climbed aboard and started it. Sounded good. Smooth.
I headed up the hill towards my house after leaving the parking lot and got about 200 yards up the road when BANG!! Clunk-clunk. I had to push it home about 1 1/2 miles. Uphill. Discovered I really AM 50 years old. Took about two hours to recover. I thought for SURE there had been some malfunction during the rebuild. The engine was toast.
Took it to the dealer today where we dismantled it. Come to find out, the flywheel is riveted to the mounting hub for the flywheel and said rivets sheared. Nothing else was damaged, but they didn't have one in stock so one is on order. I'm hoping I can pick it up again this weekend.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Yeah! My local grocery store has gotten the Maisto Vespa collection in. At $3 a pop, I can't resist.

Daniel said...

Doncha just love scooter toys!

Unknown said...

Lokesh Enterprises provided bajaj cable, bajaj maxima cable, bajaj 2 stroke cable, bajaj 4 stroke cable in delhi, india. VIEW MORE :- Bajaj Cable

ASAP Service Group said...

S.N ENTERPRISES was founded in the year 1990, by Mr. Naveen Arora and is the leading manufacturer of Hydraulic Pipe Bending Machines , Pipe Bending Die, Ball Mandrel, Wiper shoe, Receiving Gauge, Welding Fixtures, Brazing Fixtures. View More: Pipe Bending Die