Friday, December 26, 2008

Changes, changes, changes...
















So, the last thing you heard from me was I got two more scooters; another '02 Bajaj Chetak and an '02 Kymco People 150. Now to get you up to date.

I fought with both scooters for a couple of weeks before I got the fuel systems cleaned out enough that they would run properly. The Kymco was first. Then the Bajaj. The carburetor had to be removed twice before I got it thoroughly cleaned out on that one. They were running well and happily. I began teaching my friend Colleen how to ride on the Kymco. She fell down. Got right back up again and continued on. She was trying to ride in tight circles in a cul-de-sac. Um...maybe we'll get back to that lesson.

Of course, I can't leave well enough alone. I wheeled the Bajaj into the garage, removed the cowl protector/crash bars, the rear rack and spare tire, the tailight and the license plate. Put the spare up under the left-hand cowl where I think it belongs, located the tailight up under the end of the enormously long stock Bajaj seat. Still looked stupid. Better, but stupid. Relocated the license plate up beneath the light. Tossed the rest of the stuff in a corner.

The next weekend, I decided to play Scootergod and change the configuration of the seat. I removed it, removed the seat cover and the foam and took a hacksaw to the base. Chopped it right where I wanted it, I did! I bolted an old piece of a license plate in the back to over the now open end, bought a new electric knife to slice the foam, cut the foam to a shape I liked and put the cover back on. Years ago I learned from my father, who was making a couch at the time, that the best implement with which to cut foam is an electric knife. Believe it! I tried several methods before breaking down and forking out the $10 for one at WallyWorld.

Now, back to my creation. It stunk. Badly. So, the next day or so, I removed the currently-ruined-beyond-all-possibility-of-repair cover and in a moment of divine inspiration pulled out an old black shower curtain from who-knows-where and cut it to approximately the right size. I then pulled out my handy-dandy staple gun and proceeded to discover it didn't have the poop required to drive staples into the plastic base. So, I bought some upholstery tacks and with a pair of channel-locks forced them through the classy fabric and into the base to secure said classy fabric to said plastic base. And it even worked!!! And now it looked...well, tacky. And still stunk. So I rode it like that for a couple weeks.

I had posted an emergency plea for a replacement seat from any large-frame Vespa or Stella on the Scarab's forum and lo and behold, Hot Tomato answered! Her hubby Tryg had given her a sweet sport seat for her Stella for Christmas last year and she still had the original laying around. I could have it for the price of lunch! I was all OVER that!

Then for Christmas I got a horncasting for a VNX Vespa, a "Rally" badge, some edging for the legshield (I have plans....), a VNX Fendercrest and some spare cables...you just never know....

So, again in a fit of creativity (or something), last night I reentered the garage (I could feel the scooters cringe), grabbed some paint and began work. I painted the horncasting black and the fendercrest red. Then I went down to Phoenix today and picked up the seat from HT. It was on the Bajaj (that I'd brought down in the back of my pickup) before I left her driveway. We then took a short ride so I could pay up on my lunch debt and she introduced me to Indian food. Good stuff.

Went back home. Tonight I pulled the Bajaj horncasting off so I could use it some time in the future as a snowplow, drilled a couple of holes and mounted the Vespa piece. VERY nice! I still have to find a set of turn indicators I like and hook them up. Then came the fendercrest. Again, just what I wanted. I still haven't added the "Rally" badge...I want to clean up the legshield before I do.

I've included some pictures of the "shower-curtain seat", one of HT with our two scooters and a few of the Bajaj as it sits in my garage tonight.

And yes, the Kymco and Pirate Ship are feeling a little left out. But if you listen closely, you can hear me rubbing my hands together and cackling evilly....

C-ya...ride on,
--Keys










No comments: