Friday, November 24, 2006

It's Baaaack.....!

Well, I got my Buddy (Urban Assault Vehicle) back from the dealer last Sunday. Turns out the whole problem...all the time...was simply a bad ground wire from the coil to the main wiring harness ground. Ron, the mechanic at Scoot Over simply took the ground wire from the coil and grounded it by itself onto the engine. VIOLA!!! Instant spark! They rode it around for a couple of days and then I picked it up Sunday.

Back and forth to work all week, no problems. Cool! Took it to work Wednesday night and one of the mechanics and I applied a SuperTrapp muffler to the exhaust system. Man-o-man...what a sound!!

Thursday was, of course, Thanksgiving and my beloved Ski had to work. In the past, I was allowed to join her and dine with her in the dining room there where she works. This year the new boss said "NO". Now Ski just couldn't bear the thought of me spending Thanksgiving alone (didn't bother me...) so she made me promise to spend the day with my adopted sister, Shelly (of crash and burn fame) and her family in the almost-a-town of Yarnell, AZ. I agreed because I love the ride to Yarnell. And because I love Shelly and her family, but enough of that...back to the ride.
At 9:30 a.m., the temperature was about 48 degrees, but I gassed up anyway and headed over the mountain. Since the day was warming up nicely, the temp stayed probably pretty constant to the top. No traffic, gorgeous roads. I was in about as perfect a state of mind as possible. I don't even remember any cars annoying me much. Blasted down the mountain into Prescott Valley where it felt a little colder than it had on the mountain. I wove my way through Prescott to Hwy 89 south. The last time I did this, I hooked a right where I should have gone left and ended up in Skull Valley. This time I did the "left" thing and went right where I wanted to. Go figure.
I got stuck behind a huge RV going out of Prescott and down the hill, but it was going a good pace, so that didn't bother me much. What DID bother me was whatever was leaking out of the beast and blowing onto my face!! Don't know what it was...don't want to. At the first opportunity, I passed him, rattling his windows with my new muffler. Take THAT!!!
Down the hill, fast, through the corners that vary from sweepers to hairpins just as fast as the Buddy would take them. Exhilarating! I hit the bottom where the road straightens out and levels out a bit. Still a few hills, but since they're straight and not curved, they lost some of their appeal. I averaged an indicated 65 mph, which, allowing for the 10% optimism of my speedometer was just shy of 60. Good pace for a 125cc scooter. I reached Peeples Valley where I fueled up and calculated (based on my optimistic odometer) about 96 mpg. I rode the remaining 4 miles on into Yarnell and had a great time with, oh, about 35 pseudo-relatives. In my case, they're probably preferable to actual relatives, for the most part. Good food, good company. Got to hold a few babies and toddlers. Listened to a little karaoke. Went for a walk with my pseudo-brother, Ray. Just a great day. Headed home about 4 in the afternoon. Pretty chilly, it was...
I climbed the hill above Peeples Valley and Wilhoit (where do they get these names???) , slowing down traffic a little, since it's a steep hill and I still have only 125 cc's. Hit the corners at the top, though and I outran those cars behind me...even uphill. What a great equalizer a hairpin turn can be!! On into Prescott where I put a whole dollar's worth of gas into the tank. With the SuperTrapp growling, I snaked my way through Prescott and Prescott Valley and started up Mingus Mtn. I noticed a BMW coupe behind me in my mirrors, so I stepped up the pace a little through the twisties. I must admit he did an admirable job of keeping up, but I also noticed he was rolled over so far on his suspension in the corners I thought he was going to lift the inside wheels!
I stopped a couple of times for pictures which are included here. Click on them to make them big...some great scenic views. Also one of the Buddy just before we left home, showing the new muffler.
I reached to top of Mingus just as darkness fell and discovered the guys at Scoot Over had readjusted my headlight so I was spotlighting owls. I'll fix that today. Anyway, I was forced by my headlight to hold it down to just over the speed limit. Got home about six, chilled to the bone but still in that fine state of mind I'd been in all day.
I have so much to be Thankful for...
C-ya...ride on,
--Keys

No comments: