Saturday, August 05, 2006

Long Ride and a little catching up.





Took a long ride today. Since most of it was on the freeway, the Helix got tapped for duty. I rode from Cottonwood to Tucson. 450 miles round trip. I left at about 5:30 this morning and made it the 100 miles to Phoenix before hunger pangs drove me to the nearest Waffle House. A waffle, some bacon and coffee and a fill up for the Helix got me back on the road. I motored on into the parking lot at Scoot Over (www.goscootover.com) at about 9:30. Big hug from Mike Stirrat, the owner and on to some serious scooter talk. And testing. He told the salesman, Chris, to just hand me the keys to anything I wanted to ride. What a guy! First, I rode a little pink (ick) Buddy by Genuine scooters (www.genuinescooters.com). What a fabulous little scooter! It is a 125 cc, four-stroke, automatic scooter. Now, the initial impression one would have is; "So, it has a top speed of what, 45 maybe?" Well, one's initial impression would be WRONG!!! I had the tiny thing up to 65 in the space of about a block or so on a side street. PGO out of Taiwan manufactures the Buddy and they have done their homework! My helmet fit under the seat with room for a jacket, gloves and my goggles left. Maybe even a leftover burrito, too! I tested the kickstarter since no one had and one kick was all it took. Putt-putt. It weighs about 40 pounds less than my Bajaj and is several inches both shorter and narrower. Small, it is. Intrigues me a lot!
Next up was the 150 cc GTR by CPI. C'mon, SOMEbody buy a vowel! This scooter, um, I mean motorcyc...well, not really. Hmm. Kinda hard to catagorize. Anyway, I don't have a link to this one. The description (to the best of my abilities) is as follows. The GTR is available with either a 50 cc and 150 cc 4-stroke engine. It has large diameter wheels and tires and a trellis-type frame ala Ducati, replete with low handlebars and rear-set pegs. Yep. Pegs...not floorboards. Sound like a small sportbike, huh? Well, now, the engine is a horizontal cylinder layout, just like the scooters, and is an automatic with a CVT transmission, just like the scooters. The ride is very "motorcyclish", if you will. Turning radius is similar to that of a small motorcycle. On the road, the rearsets put one's feet up high and far back, which in turns slides one's family jewels forward onto the tank. I can visualize "uneven pavement" signs being replaced with "nutcracker ahead". Some moron came hauling butt through a parking lot I pulled into and I can attest to fine brakes on the GTR. It is a fantastic looking machine that handles well and would be a gas for short, fun rides. I would have hitchiked to Tucson before I would have ridden the GTR that far though. I spend a LOT of time in the saddle and the GTR would not be my choice.


Got a little information on the Rattler that Genuine is coming out with. It is based on the Black Cat 50 cc scooter, but is somewhat stripped down and will have a 110 cc 2-stroke engine. Could prove to be a very tasty product. Won't be available until 2007. I have a pic here somewhere of it. It is the black one with motorcycle-style handlebars and wide knobby-type tires.

Now on to the "catching up" section of this blog. Some of the previously forgotten websites I have used.

TGB - www.cobrasales.com

A comparison review between a Buddy and a Yamaha Vino 125 - www.justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm

Buddy and Rattler pics - www.motostrada.com

...and finally, a pic of me, and one of the Mad Hornet which may, indeed, be traded off.

As you can tell, I'm still learning to put photos on my blog. NOW I just have to learn how to place them where I want them....

C-ya, ride on...Keys

No comments: