Sunday, July 02, 2006

Just piddlin' around...

Not a whole lot to write about. I took a ride up Oak Creek Canyon yesterday to see where the fire just north of Sedona burned. You can see evidence of the fire and one spot about a hundred yards long where it actually came down to the road. The firefighters did a fabulous job of protection. They deserve some well deserved kudos!!
I kind of got ahead of myself here. You see, I took the ride up the canyon on Saturday, the first of July. The day before, I rode over Mingus Mountain again to Prescott where I had the tires I had ordered for my birthday present from Ski mounted. I got a set of Michelin S83's. Love 'em! I think I set a new personal best record from the top of the mountain down into Jerome...at least before that stupid Lexus slowed me down. And that was on wet pavement! Yes, I got soaked on the trip over to Prescott, but I wasn't going to let a little rain deter me! I got the tires, strapped the old ones on the back of the seat (they will be going on the Allstate when the time comes) and headed home...no rain on the way back!
Then today (Sunday) after church and breakfast at Cafe Dlano's, Ski and I went home where she proceeded to plop herself in front of the TV in her comfies and the cats on her lap. I was able to endure this rigorous, non-stop excitement for approximately 16 or 17 minutes then, with my wife's blessing, I checked the oil on the Bajaj and blasted outa there!
I headed east on Hwy 260 out of Cottonwood, heading towards Camp Verde...about 20 miles away. I topped off the tank and continued east on 260 up what we truck drivers call "the Goat Trail". Hwy 260 climbs up out of 3200 ft. elevation Camp Verde to over 7000 ft. elevation in about 15 miles. It's about the curviest road that trucks are allowed on in the state of Arizona. The climb usually has my Kenworth (in loaded condition) down to about 14 - 15 mph. I was able to hold about 45 - 50 on the Bajaj with occasional periods of 35 mph on the real steep stuff. What made it worse was I had quite a headwind, too. Yes, a storm was a-blowin' in. I reached the top where 260 intersects with Hwy 87 north and south. I went south about, oh, maybe 3 miles when I got stuck behind a slow moving tourist in an ugly Kia. Come to think of it...are there any good looking Kias? Anyway, here I was on a road with very tight curves and going downhill and some knucklehead has to ruin the trip by going 35 mph. So I followed him down into the (very) small town of Strawberry where I hoped he'd turn off. No such luck. Ended up chasing him another 5 miles into the slightly less small town of Pine. They have a GREAT little place there that is a combination antique shop/ice cream parlor...with homemade ice cream! I didn't get to enjoy it this trip though, as the rain clouds were piling up on the very near horizon. I topped off the tank again and headed back north. Then, back west again on Hwy 260. I got passed quite a bit up on top. The speed limit is 55, which I could hold, but most people run about 65 or 70. That was out of my range. I just let 'em go. Then the road begins a slight descent before the serious downhill. I was able to coax about 63 mph out of the little scooter. I'd scoot down into the "Hornet Tuck" behind the headlight to cut the wind and at one point I think I saw about 67 mph on the clock! Then...rain! I stopped and donned my goggles and jacket and took off again. About 3 minutes later the rain stopped, but I was gonna be danged if I'd stop to put my gear back in the glove box. I just cruised on into Camp Verde where I filled up again and got rid of the jacket and goggles and motored back into Cottonwood. Ninety-some degrees in Cottonwood...low eighties up on top. A trip well worth the time! Beautiful meadows on the flats near the top changing to thick black timber about 8 miles from the junction of 260 and 87. All big, old Ponderosa pines. It smelled SO good between the pine scent and the recent rains. Wish you all had been along for the ride.
P.S. If you are considering new tires for your scooter, I highly recommend the Michelin S83's. They have a classic tread design with a soft enough compound to let you get crazy in the corners, yet they work well in wet weather. A good all-around tire, I'd say.

No comments: