Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

I began the day by taking a load of trash to the dumpster at work where I began B.S.'ing with the mechanics. One of them said he'd heard about a Memorial Day biker's run. Being the annoying kinda guy I am, I thought it's be fun to run my scooter with the Harleys, so I asked about it. He said it was starting at the American Legion at 10:30. Hmmm.

Well, I'm a member of that post, so I figured they wouldn't dare kick me out, so I showed up at 10:30. Since I have a history with various motorcycle clubs, including some outlaw clubs, I decided the proper etiquette was to ask permission to ride with the presiding club, the "American Legion Riders". I got the attention of the Sgt at Arms who said "sure, you can ride with us..." THEN I mentioned I was riding on a motorscooter. His whole demeanor changed. You could just FEEL the elitism pouring out of him. He was about to tell me I couldn't ride with them...even after I showed him my membership card and my Vietnam pin...but before he could, the Chaplain of the ALR's (who just happened to be standing there) said, "Why not? You're in the wind and we're all here for the same reason...to honor our fallen brothers. Just try to keep up."
So I rode with the Harleys in the big Memorial Day procession to the cemetary for a Vet's service. I got some looks and some guys just refused to acknowledge me at all, but like it or not, I was there!
A little side-note here...one of the guys with a flag bungeed to his bike had the flag slip and stopped to fix it. I stopped to help him. We got it straightened out and I took off before he did. I was strokin' it down Mingus Ave., trying to catch up with the pack when a car turned left directly in front of me from a side street. I grabbed both binders hard and leaned over to the right, sliding the Bajaj like a flat-tracker. He finally saw me and hit the gas. I let up on the brakes, straightened it out, cussed like the former Marine I am and went on my way. I am very grateful for the handling prowess of that little scooter. Again. It was the easiest accident-avoiding maneuver I think I've ever made. Light weight and small wheels (AND the anti-dive front-end on the Bajaj) certainly have their up-sides!
Anyway, it was a successful day for me. I got to hang with other service vets on Memorial Day, ride in a procession, hear a fine service dedicated to the vets AND annoy the Harley guys!
Another, side-note; finally got the headset off the Allstate today...had to cut the cables and wiring...everything was WAY too corroded to slide out. So, I got that off and the front-end off. Bearings were shot. Only about half the balls were in their cages! Little bit at a time...
--Keys

1 comment:

Steve said...

Pretty ballsy maneuver keys. Didn't happen to get any photos did you? It would have been nice to see you in the middle of all that chrome, leather and brut.